Friday, March 20, 2009

Do you have a rare Salmon Beach rowboat?


These pictures were taken of the Foss Boat today at the Seaport Museum.

It's Friday the first day of Spring and I am taking a vacation day. So I started the day off by stopping by the Seaport Museum down on Thea Foss waterway to do a little research and hopefully get some good pictures to share with you. Rhonda and I had been talking about it for a long time and as long as I was there today I signed us up for a family membership. So, now we are card carrying members (as soon as we get the cards in the mail). Anyway, I was not disappointed. I spent at least an hour there and had the whole place to myself. I did find what I was looking for and more. First of all the Salmon Beach Boathouse brand that was burned into the wood of each of the rental fleet at the boat house is not only on the Foss boat at the museum but is is on it think in seven different places. I am looking forward to doing a little scraping to see if we have more brands than the two on the outside of the stern. There is also a pretty nice boat shop in the northwest corner of the huge building that they occupy but unfortunately nobody was working this morning. There is so much space and I have high hopes that it will soon be full of boats, big and small. Anyway what I would like you all to do is if you have a wooden rowboat is check the stern , bow, seat, and breasthook to see if you have one of the few rare surviving boats from the Salmon Beach rental fleet. I also have an oar from the boathouse and apparently when they had the brand heated up it was used to mark everything so check your old oars too. So if you happen to have a boat like ours and it happens to have the brand of the Salmon Beach Boathouse let us know. We would love to hear from you (we heard that somone had a 10 foot boat with the salmon brand on it).

1 comment:

  1. Scott,
    Nice article - sorry we don't have any old row boats laying around, but sincerely doubt that a Salmon Beach boat made it out to Orlando, Florida. However, I will keep an eye out!
    Love,
    Beth
    PS - I would follow you anywhere.....

    ReplyDelete